• 0 following
  • 4 posts
  • 0 comments received
  • 1 point

Recent Activity

  • posted
  • posted
  • posted
  • likes OSHA reminds employers to protect workers from dangers of handling fireworks
  • posted Halifax firm fined over explosion at primary school

    A gas servicing firm in Halifax has been prosecuted for safety failings after an explosion in the boiler room of a local primary school.

    The explosion, which happened the day before children returned to Greetland Academy after the summer holidays in September 2011, blew out the boiler house door toward a paved area and the school playing field.

    Two local neighbours in School Street heard the explosion and rushed to the school where the teaching staff were having a training day. Fortunately there were no injuries.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was notified and discovered Marshall Gas Services Ltd, based in Greetland, had been on site the same day to service three boilers and other gas appliances, and had held a contract to carry out annual inspections and services there for at least ten years.

    After investigating, HSE prosecuted the company at Halifax Magistrates’ Court on 8 June 2015 after finding that despite the servicing contract, the boiler showed all the classic signs of poor maintenance, including excessive rust and debris, and had become increasingly dangerous.

    The court heard that on inspection by HSE gas specialists, the burners produced a significant amount of internal corrosion and the gas injectors were very dirty, which significantly reduced the aperture size.

    The restricted gas injectors prevented sufficient gas getting to some of the burners to allow them to be cross-lit when turned on. Unburned gas then passed into a combustion chamber and created an explosive atmosphere.

    HSE’s investigation showed the build-up of debris and the partial blockage of the injectors would have occurred gradually over a period of time, and that the levels in the boiler were not consistent with a regular annual service regime.

    Marshall Gas Services Ltd, of West Vale Chambers, Stainland Road, Greetland, Halifax, was fined £13,000 and ordered to pay £35,699 in costs after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

    After the hearing, HSE inspector Jackie Ferguson said:

    “This was an entirely preventable incident. It was pure luck no children were around at the time as the boiler house was close to the school playing field and access routes for staff and pupils alike.

    “Marshall Gas Services displayed a reckless disregard for the safety of the community, and these young children in particular, and the outcome could have been far worse.

    “On the wider issue, all companies who carry out gas work must comply with their legal duties and responsibilities. Experience has shown that some operating in the gas sector are prepared to breach regulations by undertaking gas work while not on the statutory register and without the necessary competency. There are also instances of registered engineers operating outside the scope of their competency.

    “HSE will continue to undertake effective regulation and enforcement of this industry where we find negligence and safety failings.”


This member has not created any lists yet.


  • COVID-19 pandemic: Virginia approves nation’s first emergency temporary st...
    Richmond, VA — Virginia became the first state to approve an emergency temporary standard to protect workers from COVID-19, after the Department of Labor and Industry’s Safety and Health Codes Board voted July 15 to approve the new rules.
    “Workers should not have to sacrifice their health and safety to earn a living – especially not during a pandemic,” Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said in a press release announcing the standards. “In the absence of federal action, Virginia has just become the first state in the nation to adopt enforceable workplace safety standards for COVID-19.”
    The standard (16 VAC 25-220) will be in place for six months and can be made permanent through the process defined in state law. It requires the following:
    Social distancing measures and face coverings for employees in customer-facing positions and when social distancing is not possibleFrequent access to handwashing stations or hand sanitizerCleaning of high-contact surfacesNotification of all employers within 24 hours of a co-worker testing positiveProhibiting employees known or suspected to have COVID-19 from returning to work for 10 days or until they have two consecutive negative testsRichard L. Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, applauded the news.
    “The virus continues to pose a grave danger to working people, and this strong, enforceable standard requires state employers to improve working conditions through clear, science-based measures, preventing further outbreaks in our communities,” Trumka said in a statement posted online.
    State industry associations criticized the standard during last month’s public comment period.
    The Virginia Forestry Association wrote that “unfortunately, 16 VAC 25-220 shifts from voluntary adoption of common-sense measures that businesses can adapt to their own operating procedures to one-size-fits-all requirements that create regulatory uncertainty and threaten our industry’s small businesses.” 
    The Virginia Poultry Federation pointed to industry-specific guidance issued and updated by OSHA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, claiming the state’s standard “is little more than a summary of existing OSHA and CDC guidance already in effect.” 
    Virginia DOLI developed the standard in response to an Executive Order signed May 26 by Northam directing the department to “control, prevent and mitigate” the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace.
  • Halifax firm fined over explosion at primary school A gas servicing firm in Hal...